~ About

About the developer.

Geoff Cawson’s grandparents lived in St. Heliers, which meant many a summer holiday was spent not too far from The Rise. And this is what makes this particular development so special to him. Memories of days at the beach, evenings at the park – prompting Geoff and the Shackleton Developments team to return to the area with an incredible vision for this spectacular site.

With a dedication to quality and sustainability living, Shackleton Developments’ core values stem from their ethos to deliver residential homes that leave each community better than when they arrived. Through thoughtful, inspired design, attention to detail and an uncompromising desire to be mindful of tomorrow’s end user, Shackleton Developments is honoured to be a part of this incredible project.  

An extraordinary team.

An opportunity of this calibre calls for an extraordinary team.
Shackleton Developments has united renowned Paul Brown Architects, the accomplished Eterno Interiors, discerning landscape architects Boffa Miskell and experienced construction partner LEP for the project.

History.

The first known residents of St. Heliers can actually be dated back to the 13th century. Horoiwi, who arrived as a migrant aboard the Tainui waka, and his wife, Whakamuhu – a Maori princess –  raised their family and established a pā site on what is now known as Achilles Point (at the top of The Rise) and next to Glover Park.

In 1841 St. Heliers was purchased from Ngāti Pāoa, as part of the Kohimarama Block, by the British Crown. Along with European settlers, there was the establishment of the Glen Orchard homestead, built sometime around the 1850s. The homestead became Auckland’s first stud farm in 1879, and it was then that St. Heliers Bay was named – suggested by the farm’s manager Major Walmsley as the area reminded him of a holiday resort in one of Britain’s Channel Islands, called Bay of St Helier.

In 1881, St. Heliers Bay was brought by the St. Heliers and Northcote Land Company in order to develop it for residential purposes. However a reliable transport connection to downtown Auckland was lacking and the scheme failed due to poor sales. But that didn’t stop delighted day trippers visiting on the weekend, with moonlight excursions particularly popular on board a couple of boats on which dancing was allowed.

It wasn’t until 1931, when Tamaki Drive was finally opened, that the suburb was able to start growing its permanent population. And of course today, nearly 100 years later, it is an extremely sought-after and desirable place to live, visit and play.    

Be one of just ten.

Scroll to Top